Pray for Thailand!

Sunday, November 22, 2009

# 5 REASON WHY I'M THANKFUL: The recession causes the church to work less as a business and more as a body of believers.


Many churches today are run as businesses. This can be an effective way to organize a church. The church has a budget that people give to and from that budget the church is able to support ministries. That is all good and everything but right now people are broke equaling less money in the church’s budget. For example, my home church used to be able to give large amounts of money to missionaries out of their budget. Now is a different story. I heard from someone that my church is not going to be able to support me from their budget. So I did what I do best…I took this personally: I thought things like “They are not even going to support me. I thought they were my main sending church? Maybe I shouldn’t even go.” I was heartbroken because I put my trust in a missions budget.

Then a friend, without realizing it, changed my perspective. She said, “Cornerstone is really supporting you, huh?” I responded “What do you mean?” (while thinking exactly the opposite) She said “Well, I always hear about you at Cornerstone, like in the main service when Josh shared your story, or when I get the emails about community dinners, or the flyers for the garage sale.” That is when it clicked for me: It’s not a financial amount from a church’s budget that makes you supported by a church (that can be part of it)--- but its the love and support of the real church—the people that truly matters. I am thankful that the people of Cornerstone ARE my main sending church and I am thankful for the rest of the people sending me that are not a part of Cornerstone. It’s awesome to watch the Holy Spirit working through His people to make this ministry possible in Thailand.

No comments:

Post a Comment